This update could be interesting. HTC delivered a nicely styled phone with the HTC One Mini, but in reviewing it I was concerned with some sluggish UI responses and sub-par camera performance.
Google focused KitKat on improving hardware optimization for lower powered handsets. Cheap Android phone manufacturers would often turn to Gingerbread (Android 2.3), so Google is making efforts to polish up the experience for entry level handsets. As the HTC One Mini was last years mid-range entry, it stands to reason that it too might get a nice little performance boost.
The One Mini wasn’t a terrifically popular phone, so it’s really nice to see HTC continuing to support customers here even if the update has been a bit delayed. I’m updating my One Mini now to take it for a second test drive!
Hit the jump for the full changelog of additional updates and improvements.
- Improved user interface with Android (4.4 KitKat): The latest version of Android includes enhancements such as restyled status and navigation bars, a new full-screen immersive mode, color emoji support, improved closed captioning support, stronger security, enhanced bluetooth and smarter power use.
- Phone dialer app: The phone app now includes the ability to look up contacts directly from the dial pad, see and tap frequent contacts, and search corporate directories easily.
- Caller ID: Whenever a call is received from a phone number not in saved in contacts, the phone will look for matches from businesses with a local listing on Google Maps.
- HTC BlinkFeed™ app: The new menu gives quicker access to switch content sources and search for custom topics and includes more news sources.
- New copy and paste options: Copy and paste allows users to share or Google highlighted information.
- New e-mail user interface: E-mail look and feel similar to Gmail and allows in-line editing.
- Camera app from lock screen: Click on the camera app icon on the lock screen for quick access to the camera app.
- Control music from the lock screen: Jump to specific past songs or videos from lock screen.
- Immersive viewing: Immersive mode enables full screen viewing of books, videos, and games.
- New clock interface: The clock now has an enhanced analog user interface.